About the Bioinformatics Centre
The Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF) was established in the Department of Zoology,
Sri Venkateswara University, with the financial support by The Department of Biotechnology (DBT),
Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. The BIF Centre was inaugurated
by our honorable the then Vice Chancellor, Prof. N. Prabhakar Rao on 25th June 2010.
From the initial grant of Rs. 20 lakhs, the BIF Center has procured several hardware items such as two servers,
10 Higher end models of Desktops computers, Printer, Scanner, Photocopier, KVA UPS backup for uninterrupted power
supply and 4Mb BSNL broadband Wi-Fi internet connectivity. Subsequently, from the second instalment grant of Rs. 6.8. lakhs,
for the year 2011-2012 the supporting personnel Viz. Traineeship and Studentship were recruited and other infrastructure
facilities were inproved. All these f existing acilities are being extended to the Faculty, Research Scholars, and Students
of all disciplines of life sciences in this university to carry out their Research work and project works in the field of
Bioinformatics, Biotechnology and Computational Biology. From the third installment grant of Rs.11.5 Lakhs released during
the financial year, 2013- 14, the following requirements are/ will be fulfilled.
- To extend BIF Centre facility to more number of Faculty, Research Scholars and PG Students.
- Purchase of higher-end models of Desktop computers to support some specific softwares and Tools.
- Internet facility for three more years i.e. up to 2016.
- To establish Work-Station facility for carrying out more advanced studies in Bioinformatics area.
- To elevate the present status of BIF to the next higher level, SDIC.