The UGC – Academic Staff College (ASC), was established in Sri Venkateswara University
on 31st August 1988, has been one of the first few Academic Colleges established
in the country and it has thus distinction of having its Silver Jubilee completed
in August, 2013. Ever since its inception the ASC has organized 73 Orientation Programmes
and 169 Refresher and other Courses. Apart from the training programmes for teachers,
the Academic Staff College conducts Professional Development Programmes for Principals
and other academic administrators and teachers.
Objectives of the ASC-S.V. University are to enable newly appointed and Serving
- understand the significance of education in general, and higher education in particular,
in global and Indian contexts
- understand the linkages between education and economic and socio-economic and cultural
development, with particular reference to Indian polity where democracy, secularism
and social equity are the basic tenets of society
- acquire and improve art of teaching at the college/university level to achieve goals
of higher education
- keep abreast of the latest developments in their specific subjects
- understand the organization and management of a college/university and to perceive
the role of teachers in the total system
- utilize opportunities for development of personality, initiative and creativity
- promote computer literacy as well use of ICT in teaching and learning process.
The functions of Academic Staff College, S.V University are to plan and organize
Orientation Programmes for newly appointed college and university lecturers, Refresher
Courses for Serving lecturers, short duration courses and workshops for academic
administrators and teachers, training programmes for non-academic staff and Research
methodology courses for research scholars.
Academic Staff College - Faculty
||Prof.D.Anand Naidu||M.A,M.Phil,Ph.D||Modern History / South East Asian Studies||
||Dr.P Kothandarami Reddy||M.A, Ph.D, M.B.A||Economics(Rural banking and Rural Development) & Human Resource Management||
||Dr.K.Venkataramana||M.A. and doctoral degree||Old literature, Modern literature||
The Academic Staff College, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati has access to
all the infrastructural facilities of the University like the Computer Lab, Central
Library and other sophisticated laboratories. Besides these, the Academic Staff
College itself has a good library with more than 3,000 books and magazines and a
computer lab with 25 systems to train the participants.
The Orientation Courses are meant basically for enhancing the professional competence
in teachers who have just entered the profession. These courses are for duration
of four weeks, structured in the following modules:
- Linkage between education and society and development
- Philosophy of education and pedagogical skills
- Research Methodology / Subject Up-gradation / Computer Literacy
- Professional Skill Development and Management related areas
The refresher courses are organized for a duration of three weeks. The objective
of these courses is to update the teachers with recent developments in their concerned
disciplines. Each Refresher Course has definite thrust area depending on the need
and the developments in the concerned subject. Every Refresher Course will have
a component in Computer Literacy.
The lecturers will be allowed in to the courses as per UGC guide lines.
Teachers desired to apply for any course in ASC, can download the application available
from the University website.
UGC-Academic Staff College
Sri Venkateswara University ,
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh,India.
Phone : Office: 0877-2289513, Director: 2248620